Yesterday we got more than a little snow in Charlotte, so it was the perfect day for comfort food. I went for potato soup. Every time I make it, I swear it was my best batch yet, but omg it was/is so good!
Here’s what you need:
- 4-5 small russet potatoes
- 1 package of bacon
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 white onion
- 1 small cup of sour cream.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (plus more for toppings)
- Green onion for topping
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes. I leave the skin on but you can peel if you’d like.
- Cook bacon.
- Remove bacon from skillet and cook chopped white onion in bacon grease.
- Transfer the onion and bacon freeze to a larger pot.
- Add flour and cook for a minute.
- Slowly add chicken broth. Cook and stir until mixture is thick.
- Add potatoes and some of the crumbled bacon. Save the rest of bacon for topping.
- Add milk.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Cook and stir frequently for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add 1 cup of cheese. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream.
- Add bacon and chopped green onion as toppings.
I’m telling you, you will absolutely love this soup and it’s even better the next day!
Hope you guys are staying safe and warm!