This sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, but my Brazilian and Colombian friends, and a random Mexican cashier told me how to make black beans. I combined all of their recipes to make my own and they turned out delish for my first time! I had the best black beans I’ve ever tasted at a Brazilian restaurant a few weeks ago, and ever since I’ve been obsessed with wanting more!
- Bag of black beans
- Goya sazon and cilantro recaito
- Smoked turkey pieces
- Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover beans. The beans will expand as they soak so add plenty of water.
- Rinse beans before cooking.
- Boil enough water that would cover beans with smoked turkey, a generous spoonful of recaito, 2 packages of sazon, and a clove of garlic for 45 minutes. Add more water if necessary. My package of smoked turkey had about 6 pieces of meat and I used 2 pieces.
- Add beans and reduce heat. Simmer and stir occasionally about an hour or until beans are tender.
Y’all, I’m telling you these beans were slap yo mama good! They were even better the next day. I also made roasted veggies, rice, and turkey wings on Sunday. The entire meal was sooooo good!
If you love black beans, try this recipe! You’ll never go back to canned.
Leave a Reply